At the end of last year, I had finally built the last two raised veggie beds for my vegetable garden, and they sat empty, unfinished and uneven for the rest of the winter, the pale thorn in my side. So the first warm day of March found us all outside, adding landscaping fabric and mesh to the bottom of the beds to keep out rodents, leveling the sod so the beds would sit evenly and adding a couple of coats of stain to protect against further weathering.
With that all easily accomplished in an afternoon, I was a bit surprised that Chris agreed to immediately tackle the one remaining raised bed we had discussed.
There are two reasons I figure he jumped all in to this project:
- It’s using the last of the wood from our homemade dance floor from four years ago.
- Chris can’t resist a good wall.
I can’t remember who first suggested it, but we had fallen in love with the idea of sectioning off the vegetable garden from the rest of the yard with a tall raised bed that would act essentially as a wall, creating a vegetable “room.” Gardeners far more experienced than I will tell you that the best gardens entice you to move forward to discover what’s just around the bend. In my mind each corner of the yard will someday offer its own secret room, a sectioned off area where visitors will find a private world with its own scented secrets.
The wall in question measures 20 feet long by 2 feet wide and roughly 30 inches tall. The plan was to use 4×4 lumber for the corners and vertical supports, but we didn’t want to use pressure-treated wood, with chemicals that could potentially leach into the soil and roots. That pushed us to 2×4 kiln-treated wood that Chris considered fastening into 4×4 bundles, but then we had to be concerned with rot and replacement. Ultimately he found 4- and 8-foot-long metal L-shaped pieces at Lowe’s that were corrosion-resistant and could be easily driven into the ground, the perfect solution.
With a sledgehammer and a level, we placed the longer Ls in each corner, then Chris fastened a series of the shorter pieces together to create Ts, and we place four of those in the middle for supports at 5-foot intervals. Chris strung a line level to ensure the tops of his posts were all even, since we’re working on a small grade.
While Chris leveled, I stained the wood we had on hand. Once it had dried, we began cutting wood to size.
By the end of the night, we had two boards up, and a narrow trench dug fairly deep where the ground is higher so that we can slip the next boards in level. Once the bottom row goes in, it should be fairly simple to build up from there.