It’s spring as far as I’m concerned and nothing, not even a head-cold and the occasional bout of axis-tipping dizziness, is going to keep me from enjoying it.
The signs have been everywhere that spring is here:
- This week warmed up to the 60s!
- The thick, sludgy snow by the mailbox has finally melted!
- The first yellow crocus was joined within minutes by four of its siblings!
- My seeds have arrived!
Did I forget to mention the seeds? Funny, I’ve started the blog about the exotic allure of online seed-buying at least three times over the years, and then always talk myself out of hitting the buy button. Not this year! I picked out exactly the cucumbers and peas I wanted, threw in a fun packet of Burpee’s hybrid corn and decided to try my hand at sweet potatoes (why not?) as well.
At any rate, given this clear cut case for spring, yesterday Chris and I finished the last two raised veggie beds: he added the wire and landscape fabric to keep all variety of pests at bay and I slapped on a coat of stain to slow the effects of the weather. By the end of painting, I’d more or less forgotten I was sick.
It’s been cheering to be accomplishing so much so early in the season, so I think I’m ready to put out another to-do list, a little challenge to myself to keep moving. So without further ado, the 2015 To-Dos:
- Plant all six veggie beds
- Fertilize the lawn (finally)
- Cut down the front holly (sob – much more on that later)
- Plant the boxwoods in front of the house and extend the front bed
- Edge the garden near the veggies with stone
- Plant at least one shrub in the corner near the baby’s swing
- Complete my rain barrel making project (more on that as soon as my galvanized drum cover arrives in the mail)
- Build the long veggie bed (would love to plant it but am trying to rein in my enthusiasm before my garden partner rips out his hair on one project to many)
That’s not so bad, right? I didn’t say one word about building the baby a hobbit house for her birthday or putting in an entire dry creek bed! See, I know my limits!